Dwarf Fortress: How to Change Elevation
If you are a fan of immersive simulation games, chances are you have come across Dwarf Fortress. A complex and challenging game, Dwarf Fortress allows players to build and manage their own dwarven civilization deep within the mountains. As you explore the depths, you may encounter the need to change the elevation of certain areas to create pathways, fortifications, or other structures. In this article, we’ll explore how to change elevation in Dwarf Fortress.
Using the Dig Command
The most basic way to change elevation in Dwarf Fortress is by using the “Dig” command. To do this, you need to designate the specific tiles you want to dig into.
1. Select the “Dig” command from the game menu.
2. Move the cursor to the desired tile and press the left mouse button.
3. Continue selecting tiles until you have highlighted the area you want to change the elevation of.
4. Once you have designated the area, press the “Enter” key to start the digging process.
Building ramps can also help you change elevation in Dwarf Fortress and provide access to different levels of your fortress.
1. Select the “Stairs/Ramps” command from the game menu.
2. Move the cursor to the location where you want to create the ramp and press the left mouse button.
3. As you move the cursor further, a ramp will be created along the designated area.
4. Continue placing ramps as needed to connect different levels of your fortress.
Using Soil and Stone
In Dwarf Fortress, you can also change elevation by utilizing soil or stone.
1. Select the “Floor” command from the game menu.
2. Move the cursor to the desired tile and press the left mouse button to designate it as a floor tile.
3. You can then designate adjacent tiles as well to create a raised walkway or platform.
4. Alternatively, you can use the “Wall” command to raise walls and create elevation changes within your fortress.
Changing elevation in Dwarf Fortress is a fundamental aspect of building and managing your dwarven civilization. Whether you are digging tunnels, creating ramps, or using soil and stone to shape the landscape, the ability to modify the elevation opens up endless possibilities for creating unique fortresses and overcoming challenges in the game. So, go forth, experiment, and enjoy the thrilling journey of Dwarf Fortress!