Dwarf Fortress: How to Make Bolts
Are you an adventurer looking to upgrade your ranged weaponry in Dwarf Fortress? Bolts can be extremely useful for your adventures in both hunting and defending yourself against enemies. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make bolts to boost your arsenal.
Step 1: Gathering Materials
Before you can craft bolts, you need to gather the necessary materials:
- Wood: Collect logs from trees, then use your carpenter’s workshop to create wooden bolts.
- Metal: Extract ore from the ground, smelt it in a smelter, and forge metal bars. These bars can be used to create metal bolts.
- Feathers: Hunt birds or scavenge from the remains of killed creatures. Feathers are used as fletching for your bolts.
- Thread: Produced from plant fibers or animal hair at a farmer’s workshop or by using a loom.
Step 2: Crafting Bolts
Once you have gathered the necessary materials, follow these steps to craft bolts:
- Access your craftsdwarf’s workshop by designating one, or by using an existing one.
- Go to the workshop menu, choose the “Make Bolts” option.
- Select the material you want to use (wood or metal) for your bolts.
- Select the fletching material you gathered (feathers).
- Choose the type of tip you want for your bolts, such as bone or metal. These can affect the damage or penetration.
- Specify the quantity of bolts you wish to make.
- Confirm your choices, and your craftsdwarf will start producing the bolts.
Tip: You can experiment with different materials and tips to find the most effective bolts for your needs.
Step 3: Stockpiling Bolts
Now that your craftsdwarf has finished making the bolts, you need to ensure they are appropriately stored:
- Create a stockpile near your craftsdwarf’s workshop exclusively for bolts. This will make them easily accessible for your adventurers.
- Adjust the stockpile settings to accept only bolts. This can be done through the stockpile settings menu.
- Assign your stockpile to a convenient location for easy retrieval.
Warning: Failure to properly stockpile your bolts may result in them being scattered throughout your fortress, making them harder to find when you need them most.
Congratulations! You have successfully learned how to make bolts in Dwarf Fortress. With a well-stocked supply of quality bolts, you are now better equipped to take on the dangers that lie ahead in your adventures.